Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My favorite teacher



I had many favorite teachers in my life. I think I always liked school. In elementary school, I liked Mr. K., he was still a bachelor and he used to play with us at recess. He would throw the red, rubber ball really high into the air and one of us would catch it. I ran into him the other day and I couldn't believe how old he looked. In a way though, he still reminded me of his younger self, especially when he smiled. I was too embarrassed, so I didn't say "Hi." Probably when I have a chance to run into him again, I will summon the courage to say "hi" and hope that he remembers me. I was the one that corrected him in spelling "embarrassed."


I had really good teachers in high school too. One that really stood out for me was another Mr. K. He was my business teacher and he asked me to be his TA in my senior year. I was flattered and willingly obliged. He always looked so professional. He wore a well-starched aloha shirt with the collars that stood up neatly and he wore brylcreem in his hair. He was in his 50's, but he seemed so young at heart. He believed in all of us. He ran our classroom like a well-oiled machinery. He made funny jokes which were sort of dry in humor but still quite entertaining.


I miss him. He and I exchanged Christmas cards every year after I graduated from high school. One Christmas he didn't send me a card. About a year and 4 months later, his wife sent me a card telling me that he passed away. I was so shocked and so sad. I always told myself that I would go back to visit him when I became something. I guess I shouldn't have waited so long. I miss him so much. :(


I hope that he is watching me now from heaven and is proud of me because I chose to follow in his footsteps. Maybe one day, my class will run like a well-oiled machine too.
The picture above isn't his picture. It's just an image that I found to represent Mr. K. because he was always young at heart. I like how the young man in the picture looks wistful and is looking out toward the open water...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms.Fukuda. A lot of my elementry and middle school teachers have moved to different schools. All my teachers are my favorite teachers. They're all so nice and they teach their classes well. I always enjoyed elementary school, surrvived middle school, and currently stuggling high school (not really). Elementary school were the good ol' days. I've ran into a couple teachers recently and they're all so excited to see me grown up. It's always interesting to see your former teachers and to keep touch with them.
-Jenn pd.5

Anonymous said...

hi ms. i like the blog. i wish i had a teacher that played catch with us at recess

Anonymous said...

i like ur blog it brings back memories from elementary school
chad aoki pd2

Anonymous said...

hi ms.fukuda. i thought this blog was interesting. i think it's pretty cool how he stayed friends with his teacher after all those years and it's always good to keep in touch with old friends.
-michelle pang pd.1

Anonymous said...

Hey ms. dis was a pretty interesting blog...u kno it actually made me think about my life and the teachers who have affected it...ur one of those teachers who has touched my life fo da better...5 points extra credit:) haha jus joking but yeah this year was fun...dis was a good blog

Shiloh Aiu per.1

Anonymous said...

Ms. Fukuda,
I think it's cool you were lucky enough to find 2 teachers you like and respected so much. The way you described the first Mr. K. kinda reminds me of you, because of how funny you act and how much you like to PARTY!! I think if your teacher was still alive he wopuld be proud of u, P.S.--good blog

Jason Trankel Per. 2

Anonymous said...

sup ms.fukuda. this was a pretty sad story. the good thing is that you know he is watching you from heaven.
-scott pd6