Monday, May 28, 2007

Catcher in the Rye quotes


"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody. If anybody wanted to tell me something, they'd have to write it on a piece of paper and shove it over to me. They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life." -- H.C.
For some reason, I enjoyed reading The Catcher in the Rye immensely. I read it some time during my college years for a class. Strange as Holden was, I could relate to his character and his way of thinking.
I think that after high school you enter college and it expands your mind. You start to realize things that you never even had time to think of. In high school, it is all about doing your homework and studying for your tests and getting good grades. In college, we don't have a lot of homework for English class. You just have papers to write and really good discussions. You sit in a circle and your teacher is part of the circle. You can call the professor by his or her first name. College is a great institution.
The above-mentioned quote reminded me of someone that I worked with during my college part-time jobs. He designed shirts for HIC, his aunt was one of the owners. He had large ears and was very quiet. He did airbrushing in the store. People had to point out what designs they wanted or to write out their requests because he was deaf. When he spoke, he reminded me of a fish. He made these strange popping sounds with his mouth, sort of like what a fish might sound like out of the water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this was a good book and i think it is important that studenst read this :)

floyd your best senior right ms :)