Monday, May 28, 2007

My favorite quotes from Atticus Finch



What is your favorite quote from any of the novels that we have read this year?

Here are some of my favorite quotes from To Kill a Mockingbird:

(I believe that Atticus Finch represents one of the most humane attorneys left in this world.)

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

"It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what."

"But there is one way in this country in which all men are created equal -- there is one human institution that makes a pauper the equal of a Rockefeller, the stupid man the equal of an Einstein, and the ignorant man the equal of any college president. That institution, gentlemen, is a court."

I have worked for a short period of time in the legal system as a legal secretary. The attorney now works as a federal judge in Hawaii. Ironically, the knowledge that I gained from that job is what is keeping me afloat in my fight in the legal system today. There are so many crooked attorneys out there and it is a pity. Where are all the Atticus Finchs in the world? Most of the more powerful and well-known attorneys only care about their reputation and money.

The strange thing is my grandfather in Japan, whom I never had the chance to meet, was one of the best known criminal attorneys in Japan. He had many friends and acquaintances which ranged from the yakuzas to the foreign diplomats. My grandpa wanted my uncle, his son, to be an attorney, however, my uncle had other plans.

No comments: