Monday, May 21, 2007

For Starters, here is my poem

Darkness
it fills me
from time to time
Most of the time I am happy
liquid sunshine
happier than most

Then it happened
one day my teacher said
You are always smiling
but I believe that underneath that exterior
you mask some sadness

It was a curse
now it has become an open wound
a sore reminder
I long for the days of yore
when I was happy
sweeter than sunshine
fluffier than a cloud
my eyes, my mouth
all filled only with happiness
lemon drop dreams

Now sometimes, it is not so
I despair, I fear
especially the unknown
I know I have to keep pressing forward
but once in a while
I get away from it all

I love poetry
especially Neruda, Lorca, Rumi
I wish I could open up all the books
and just read
all alone
in a beautiful open library
sit for hours in comfy chairs
oblivious to others
without a care in the world

but soon I must return
descending quickly
all the words then become
nothing
like dust in the wind
whipping past me
all my words are taken
straight out of my mouth
from the depths of my soul
unreachable, unfathomable

and I fall
just as Emily Dickinson
I descend
lower and lower
until I am
no more...

4 comments:

Ms. Fukuda said...

If you would like to use a screen name you may do so, but please email me or tell me your screen name so that I can give you the extra credit. And please, please keep your comments suitable for a classroom setting. (ahem)

Anonymous said...

I like the way you drew out your words in my mind from your poem. We should do writings like this in class.

Anonymous said...

I like your poem. It plays with the readers emotions, going from happy to sad. All of your words represent feelings. From the happiness of lemon drop dreams, to the fear of darkness, and to the comforting feel of open libraries filled with endless amounts of books... your poem takes the reader on an emotional rollercoaster.

Anonymous said...

Miss..this poem is very deep. I enjoyed reading it, I remember when we did poems and we had to use all sorts of different ways to express our emotions and feelings. This would have been a great example to show the class.