Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mango Street's females

Do you know females that are imprisoned by the men in their lives or vice versa? Do you know males that are imprisoned by the women in their lives?

I know for some of you the stories of the unhappy females in Mango Street come as a surprise and it's hard for you to relate to it. I just wanted to share some stories of females that Iknow in my life that went through what these women such as Sally, Minerva and Rafaela are going through.

It all started in a little house in Japan. When I was 2 or 3, I still remember the night I woke up because I heard something. I pattered out into the cold kitchen in my pajamas. My older sister was still sleeping. My former father had my mom by her hair and he was ramming her head into the refrigerator. He was drunk and he was angry about something. They stopped momentarily when they realized I was standing there watching. I was so shocked, I couldn't move or do or say anything. I was really small and yet that image has stuck in my mind to this day. All I remember is my mom smiling through her tears and telling me to go to sleep because everything was okay.

I don't know my natural father. All I remember about him was that he was thin, tall, abusive, and that he saved me once when Japan had an earthquake. I was taking a bath when it started. All the dishes started falling off of the shelves. He came, wrapped me in a red blanket, and took me to safety.

When I saw the movie "Enough" with Jennifer Lopez, it reminded me of the many women in my life that I know who experienced something similar.

1 comment:

chantell fukumae said...

I know women who had to deal with abuse. As a matter of fact, a few were close family members of mine. Although, it was hard and they may have appeared weak at the time of the abuse. These women came out strong and learned to defend themselves. Mentally and physically... Life is hard at times, and the stuggle to fight through your battles can be even more difficult, but those who push through and survive. Come out ten times stronger and wiser than when they first went into the situation.

-Chantell Fukumae (Period 3)